kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: spotted turtles

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by jgsavGA on April 16, 2003 at 18:29:40:

In Reply to: Re: spotted turtles posted by Kanuck on April 16, 2003 at 11:08:04:

I've read every post on this subject and I would just like to post a few thoughts, arguing with no one, belittling no one. I will just state my opinion and observations. First I feel large outdoor housing is superior to indoor housing for the simple fact that chelonians like any other wild animal are best suited to most natual like conditions where they have freedom to roam. If not, they would not have come out of nature. But in addition to my own statement I will add that many turtles flourish, live long lives, and breed heavily in captivity. This said, I have kept turtles indoors, for the 2 factors of wintering tropical species, and containing turtles in the years before i had the large outdoor enclosure with pond I have now. I feel the turtle's natural cycle including breeding, feeding, hibernating and their biological clock all favors wild conditions. A turtle is a beautiful animal and I personally think an indoor enclosure, whether it be a tank or another indoor setup takes away from the "magic" of owning a turtle, as well as the freedom of the turtle to roam. That outdoor enclosure takes away some of the caged feel. Spotted turtles are very nomadic turtles. Traveling is a natural part of their yearly cycle. In the wild they travel from a few hundred yards to a couple miles between wetlands and upland areas. Personally my spotteds did much better once they were moved to the outdoor pond enclosure. The natural-like outdoor enclosure immediately increased breeding and also gave the turtles access to full sunlight, natural foods, but most importantly the freedom to roam a large enclosure and act more naturally. I think what matters most be it inside or out, is giving the turtle enough personal room for a humane life. All i have said is my opinion and my observations. I am one person, take what I say and think about it, but don't let it belittle oneself like previously posted. We cannot read animals minds, we don't know if they love their indoor enclosure where food, and a mate are close by, or enjoy the outdoor enclosure more. None of this is told to us, it is only by experience and learning from others that we can make the choice what we feel is the best for our turtles. Personally, as an environmental and zoology student I love a wild turtle, but hey I have kept many turtles too, so I can't say what to and not to do. All i say is do what is best for your turtle and best within your means. Good luck. I wrote this quickly hopefully I gave both sides without contradicting myself. If so don't be too harsh in letting me know. Haha.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]