kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Outside Pond for Spotteds

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by bloomindaedalus on April 09, 2003 at 19:32:30:

In Reply to: Outside Pond for Spotteds posted by yonkers on April 08, 2003 at 20:59:55:

I agree about the liner . Its beetr than preform as you can slope a liner and spotties do (apparently) drown in deep water. I 've never had it happen but have been told about it countless times. You can spread it out to have areas of differeing depths and little islands of bog plant.
If you need a source(s) of plants for bog-style ponds try here:

bogplants
moreplants
pondinfo
lilyponsplantstore

you might also try ebay

I thinkjyou need to very cautioned about making it predator proof...spotties make nice snacks for raccoons, hawks, dogs, skunks, and many mustelids. You live in michigan? Are there fishers or mink or weasels there? i've even seen herons take little turtles from ponds.
as far as bladings go i think they'd appreciate some shallows like for spotteds but they are decent swimmers (as adults) and should have some section of water which is a couple of feet deep if hey need to hide to feel comfortable. so i 'd not mix the two species.
the other issue is hibernation. if you;'ve never hibernated turtles before i wouldn't start doing it witha pond set up. too many variables. You need to determine how deep the pond has to be to allow the animals to escape the cold. several inches to several feet of mud may be required.
I'd also avoid the small gravel somebody else mentioned. It harder to observe turtles outdoors and signs of impaction may go unnoticed. I'd stick with sandy soil and/or large river rocks for a bottom.
good luck.
keep us updated

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]