kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: A Caution

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Turtle Forum ]

Posted by Jesse S. on April 09, 2003 at 10:18:45:

In Reply to: A Caution posted by bufoexul on April 09, 2003 at 08:47:21:

Thank you very much. I do what Nathan said about the runoff. The pond is designed so that minimal runoff enters the water, but more importantly the wood is buffered w/ gravel that absorbs most of the run-off. As an added precaution, I do frequent water changes as well.

-Jesse

:Your pond sounds like a great set up for spotteds. I especially like the retractable cover, as raccoons can readily catch turtles in shallow areas. I would strongly caution against using treated wood anywhere rain run off would enter the pond however. Wood is weather treated with copper arsenic, and will contaminate the water. Humans are supposed to wear gloves and masks when working with it, so you could imagine what could happen with prolonged exposure in solution by an aquatic organism. Its sale is already banned in some areas because it is so dangerous. A safer alternative might be using a naturally rot resistant wood like cypress or cedar. You might even be able to use heavily polyurethaned pine safely, as long as it's not constantly wet(not sure about this). There are also recycled plastic and sawdust products(Trex,etc.), used for decks that are safe(Audubon Society uses it for some of its wetland boardwalks).

:

::I have 3 spotteds and I would highly recommend using liner instead of the pre-fab ponds. Spotteds are poor swimmers and like shallow, well planted water w/ easy access in and out. They also love to come out of the water and search around a land area as well as bask. I used to have a pre-fab pond but I took it out and built a pond w/ a liner after one spring because it was certainly anything but ideal for them. I use ferns and other plants for the land area and water hyacnth and lilly's in the water area. The water is fairly shallow and the pond is about 12 by 8 feet w/ a large land area. The walls around the land area are treated wood 12 inches high w/ a lip. I also have a retractible top covering the whole enclosure I built using a pully system. I put this down at night or when I'm not around as there are hawks and racoons in my area. You will need a pretty large pond for 5-6 spotteds. I live in CT by the way, and they are brought in for the winter.

::-Jesse

::
:::Hey all,

:::Well i think i am going to buy one of the hard plastic pond liners and palce it outside so I can use it from my spotted turtles...you know sank in the ground. Anyhow have some questions.

:::How tall to the walls enclosing the pond need to be? How far under the ground?

:::How big of a pond for 5-6 spotted turtles?

:::I live in Michigan but not worried about hibernating them outside I will be hibernating them inside like i have been.

:::What type of filtration do i need?

:::What types of plants inside the pond and on the ground outside of the pond..in the pen?

:::Thanks,
:::Scott

:
:

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Turtle Forum ]