kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Forum subjects and all the bickering

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The TSHS Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Evans on May 29, 2001 at 16:16:46:

I don't know about you guys, but some of these forums are really getting insane. I frequent a lot of them due to the fact that we have animals that belong to most of them, and lately I've been affraid to post a comment or response. We have people from the kingsnake forum taunting venomous keepers for fun, people defending belittling and attacking people that ask a simple question about the availability of a certain animal.

It's getting out of hand. If Jeff (webmaster@kingsnake.com) just once looked at the forums and saw what was happening to them, he has all the power in the world to shut EACH one down, including our little peacefull property. This man does a great service to us by letting us have this forum, not to mention hosting our website for FREE.

Now I don't want to point blame or even say that anyone is right or wrong in any particular circumstances, but the arguing has to stop. I will admit that I have taken part in a few of them, mainly the ones concerning people alledgedly trying to post free classifieds in the normal forums. most of the questions involve people wondering where to get something, or how available something is. These are then interptreted as "want ads" and the people that think this are basically yelling at the person who posts it. I wouldn't mind the retaliation if the inquiry were for something like a boa, or a ball python, everybody knows where to get those, but most of these people are looking for hard to find herps. I've been having a doosy of a time trying to find more skaapstekers (ours died by the way) but the fact that most people don't even know what they are doesn't help at all. If I were to ask where I could get one, people would jump down my throat with their insults and reitterating the TOS. I know the TOS, but I still can't find my darn snake. If I were to pay for the membership of the want ad classifieds, then the ad itself, I may never get a response, but if I post in the forums, maybe somebody could help me out.

In any case, these forums were designed to make friends, not enemies. I don't know if it's just that they're becoming more popular and we're getting some of the less likable characters in here, or if we're really starting to lose track of what we're here for. If we're going to preserve our hobby, we can't yell at people, we can't make them feel that their questions are stupid, we can't attack a person that shares slightly different views. We need to stand strong, and become the community that we can be.

Todd
Webmaster
Tri-State Herp Society

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: