kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Red-eyes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]

Posted by Brock on April 19, 2003 at 22:18:44:

In Reply to: Red-eyes posted by RyanD on April 14, 2003 at 20:18:46:

my answers will be in CAPSLOCK

:-Would a 20H be good for 2-3? YES, START WITH 2 AND THEN DECIDE AFTER A FEW WEEKS WHETHER 3 COULD COMFORTABLY LIVE IN THERE.

:My idea of a tank is something like this:
:I will have a 20H tank with 1-inch layer of gravel and then on top a 2-3 in layer of dirt. (Not bed-a-beast, it dries out to fast) I could section a corner of the tank and put some water in there or not. NO, DON'T PUT WATER IN....YOU COULD MAKE A FALSE BOTTOM AND CREATE A WATERFALL AND SHALLOW STREAM. I HAVE PERSONALLY DONE THIS AND AM EXTREMELY HAPPY WITH THE RESULTS.

:-Could I plant like pothos or arrowhead vine in there? MOST OF THE PLANTS AT WAL-MART ARE PERFECT FOR VIVARIUMS. IF YOU WANT A VINE, GO FOR POTHOS OR EVEN BETTER Ficus pumilia. MY MAIN GOAL FOR EACH VIVARIUM I DO IS TO HAVE THE ABSOLUTE MOST AMMOUNT OF PLANTS POSSIBLE IN THERE, HEALTHY PLANT LIFE IS A GOOD INDICATION TO HEALTHY ANIMAL LIFE.

:-Would this be too messy and a chore to keep? ONCE YOU GET IT DOWN, IT IS PRETTY MUCH SELF MAINTAINING, ALL YOU WILL HAVE TO DO IS FEED AND SPRAY THEM EVERY SO OFTEN AND MAYBE COMPLETELY RE-DESIGN IT EVERY FEW MONTHS. I JUST FINISHED COMPLETELY RE-EDISGNING MY 85g VIVARIUM FOR THE 3rd TIME SINCE THE BEGINNING OF JANUARY.

:-Am I better off with a large water dish? IF YOU HAVE THE MONEY, MAKE A WATERFALL AND STREAM, JUST MAKE SURE IT ISN'T TOO DEEP SO THE FROGS CAN DROWN IN; I WOULD RECOMMEND AT MOST 3 INCHES AT THE DEEPEST PART.

:I would put gravel in the section place and siphon it out maybe twice a week or when fouled. Um, tons of varieties of tropical plants, tall and short. Just to list a few, calathea, arrowhead, pothos, pepermonia, ah any more good ones? I want a HUGE variety and it pretty densely planted if possible. I KEEP GESNERIADS, POTHOS, SCHEFFLERIA, PALM, ORNAMENTAL (NON-TOXIC) GRASS, AFRICAN VIOLETS, ALOE VERA, FICUS, VENUS FLY TRAP, PEPERMONIA, CROTON AND ABOUT 4 OTHER SPECIES OF PLANTS. AS I SAID, THE MORE PLANTS THE BETTER.

:-Would moss grow in their if I kept the humidity up at 70-80%? DEPENDS ON THE MOSS, MINE DIES IF IT GETS TOO WET, TRY TO GET A REAL TROPICAL MOSS THAT CAN HANDLE BEING CONSTANTLY WET.

:-Is that too high? NO, SOUNDS PERFECT

:-Would mold grow? PROBABLY NOT, BUT IF IT DOES, JUST DUMP A GLASS OF TAP WATER OVER IT, THE CHLORINE WILL KILL IT.

:-Would I need any special lighting? YES, YOU WILL NEED A 4' DOUBLE LIGHT UV FIXTURE, AND MAYBE 2 18" AT THE FRONT TO BRIGHTEN IT UP..IN TOTAL I HAVE 4 UV LIGHTS OVER MY 85g VIVARIUM.

:-What about a fogger to keep up humidity? YEAH THOSE ARE AWESOME.

:-Would a spraying system work better? BOTH WORK FINE.

:-What kind of misting/fogging system? GO TO THE Arrow Frog Forum ON THIS SITE AND ASK SPECIFICS THERE.

:-Would the fogger hurt the frogs? IF YOU CONCEAL IT WELL WITH ROCKS OR STICKS IT WON'T BE A PROBLEM.

:-Would bromeliads grow good in there? BROMELIADS ARE THE BEST CHOICE FOR A VIVARIUM, THEY WOULD GROW VERY WELL.

:-How would you plant them? LIKE ANY OTHER PLANT.

:-What do you think of tree fern panels for plants to cling to? I WOULD RECOMMEND THEM, I JUST WENT AND GOT SOME BARK FROM THE FOREST AND CLEANED IT OFF AND THEN CUT IT TO SIZE TO PUT IN THE BACK.

:-Would that creeping fig plant do well? Ficus pumilia, YES IT WOULD DO AWESOME IN THERE.

:Well their's some questions for you guys to answer! Got a lot more ?’s pertaining to what these answers are!
:
:
The more questions the merrier.
-Brock

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]