kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Territory is a major requirement for survival

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]

Posted by henry on March 31, 2003 at 09:09:00:

In Reply to: Re: RETF and Other Treefrogs, posted by cold_blooded on March 30, 2003 at 10:14:01:

I agree that mixing species flies in the face of all good sense. There may be ways of postponing disaster but I have no idea how you can count that as a successful system. I know because I have tried it both ways, as have many of you long-time keepers. Eventually your frogs will vote on the setup by dying off. Does it matter whether it's in a week or in a year and a half? There are no full life-expectancy frogs in a mixed setup. Frogs do not die of old age in a mixed tank. I can tell you that with complete confidence. And its not hard to understand why.

Frogs are territorial; that's why they vocalize. Frogs are motivated to do only two main things -- they eat and they vocalize to establish territory. They are stressed by having one of their own species intrude on there territiory. Having another species in their territory stresses them in the extreme.

Prove this to yourself by going out in the field. If you were to camp by a river overnight you should be able to get a fix on where the calls are coming from and how they are spaced apart. If you hear a second species note how it is positioned relative to the first one. And even this proximity -- a lot further spaced apart than in a 45 gallon tank -- is a compromise for mating only. Once this is accomplished many species will leave the water body entirely.

There is much more to this issue and it has been debated endlessly for many years. I know no serious keepers or breeders who keep mixed tanks. This is a fascination limited only to newcomers. But I don't know any serious keeper who never tried it. What does that tell you?

- henry

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tree Frog Forum ]