kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: First tree boa...bad shed. (assistance please: )

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]

Posted by ls1grrrl on November 06, 2002 at 08:14:29:

In Reply to: First tree boa...bad shed. (assistance please: ) posted by Nyarlathotep on November 05, 2002 at 20:34:59:

Do you have humidity guages in the snake's enclosure? (I'm asking b/c you didn't specify that the animals enclosure is maintained at x% humidity.) If not, then you need to do so immediately for all your snakes, otherwise its impossible to know you're maintaining proper husbandry and you may continue to experience bad sheds no matter what you try. You can pick up a digital hygrometer + therm. at somewhere like K-mart or Wal-mart for less than $20 and its well worth the investment.

As suggested, soaking the animal will help with the current bad shed, and partially covering vents may help hold in humidity. You may also have to mist more often, and/or make sure that 1) the substrate is somewhat moist and 2) you have some sort of under tank heater to help put the moisture from the substrate into the air. A bowl of wet sphagnum moss can help as well.

It can be very difficult to hold humidity in an aquarium without taking alot of effort (i.e., limiting venting which can be detrimental to some animals - tree boas for instance, buying some sort of humidifier/fogger/misting system).

Hope this helps,
Heather

:I mist once a day. I do also own a Rainbow boa and a Yellow anaconda, so I am no stranger to high-humidity herps.
:Any suggestions?

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]