kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

If you ship reptiles, please read!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]

Posted by argentinedreams on October 23, 2002 at 23:47:56:

If you ship reptiles, please read!!!
Posted by Ronnie Hurst on 10/23/2002, 8:46 pm
(in the classifieds on www.angelfire.com/biz6/ReptileClassifieds )

It has been brought to my attention that UPS is now opening and refusing all reptile shipments. I want to encourage everyone reading this to call UPS at 1-800-742-5877. Ask them to change this policy. It is my belief that if they can or will not ship my animals then they will not ship "anything" for me. Further I will not allow anyone to ship anything to me using UPS. If we keep silent on these and other issues then the herp hobby will die. One thing that I have always loved about this hobby is how herpers help each other out. Lets help each other now. Please be polite but firm and let UPS know how we feel. Also those of you that ship without letting UPS know what is in the box are only hurting us. You are continuing to give them your money without demanding a policy change. It will not change until it hurts their wallets. Please pass this along to every herper you know.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am a herpetoculturalist and have always been thankful for the fact that you would safely ship my sensitive reptile packages. Unfortunately, I hear that you are now opening and refusing all reptillian cargo. I am disappointed, I am a very loyal shipper, but now, I feel that you are turning your backs on a large market base. It is sad. I understand your defense. You fear sanitation and humane issues. I am a responsible shipper who takes extreme care in the safe transport and arrival of all of my stock. Understandably, there is the concern that not all shippers of my type are as careful, but by the same token, I'm sure plenty of your troubles stem from improperly packaged liquids, perishables, and other similar articles outside of reptiles. That's not even to mention what amount of illegal contraband no doubt slips through your routes on a daily basis.
I hate to have to do it, but I feel I must take a stand, even if it be alone. If you won't ship my reptiles, you won't ship anything for me. And, furthermore, I will assert all of my influence to make sure that all of your prospective customers are redirected to other, more "herp friendly" means of shipping.
~Brandon Barre'~
.... This is a copy of the message that I sent UPS just a few seconds ago. Like Mr. Hurst, I feel that we must do something about this. The power is ours. If we don't say something, noone will. Over this, I urge you to not only contact UPS, but all of the herpers that you do business and associate with and get them to do the same.
I've watched as one by one, the support of our shippers has dwindled. Until we stand together, they will not even see us as a large enough market to cater to... but a few hundred, maybe a thousand... shipping far more than the annual Christmas package, they have no choice but to pay attention.
Of course this is all in vain if we continue to allow improper shipping procedure, let's do it by the books, with the safety of the animals our top priority. One box of dead pythons speaks as loud as all of the complaints we stick in their mail box.
Just my little two cents.
~Brandon Barre'~

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Tree Boa Forum ]