return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Mangrove Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Barbour’s Map Turtle . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - June 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - June 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - June 08, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - June 09, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: ants in my tortoise tank!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Willy on April 12, 2000 at 15:58:55:

In Reply to: Re: ants in my tortoise tank!! posted by Brent the ant man!!!!! on April 11, 2000 at 20:30:58:

Where can I get boric acid from??

: I own a pest control company in Wisconsin.How to get rid of your ants can depend on the specis.First thing to check is what are they feeding on. If you see them feeding on sweets,mix aprox. one part Boric Acid (roach prufe) to 30 parts apple mint jelly in a separate jar marked POISON DO NOT EAT!!! Take two inch sections of drinking straws and fill them with a little bit of this bait. Do not fill by sucking. Stick one end of straw into bait. Place these bait stations outsidre of tortoise cage in the trails the ants use.Do not place inside cage. If ants are living in cage. Dump out all substrate and start out fresh.You can place these bait stations out side along foundation to stop ants from entering house.

: If ants are eating insects mix a bait concoction of peanut butter and boric acid in same proportions. If you mix too much boric acid it could repel the ants from eating the bait.You could even cook a few meal worms in microwave for a few seconds ans grind them into a mush and mix with the mint apple or peanut butter.

: Can ants hurt my tortoise? You bet they can. Ants can chew on their body parts as they sleep,spread infection and just plain stress them out.Put an ants nest in your bed and see how well you sleep.

: If you cannot control the ants, yake a sample to your local university extention or health dept. for ID.If no luck, let me know on forum and I can then give you my address and ID them for you and give you specific control meathods, including prevention.

: Happy hunting
: Brent
: : I have my tortioses in an indoor enclosure and ants seem to have to have moved in.
: : They are just tiny black ants but I don't want them there! Will they hurt the torts?
: : Any suggestions on getting rid of them? I would just change the substrate but I think they wil just come back, ants are always in my house.
: : Please any suggestions appreciated!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]