kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
click here for Rodent Pro  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

That's supposed to be: hide boxes are NOT sealed tight n/p

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by brad wilson on May 12, 2003 at 12:47:56:

In Reply to: My family of russians and their pens posted by brad wilson on May 12, 2003 at 12:46:49:

::What part of the country are you located in?

:St. Louis, MO. So very humid.

:: Are the hide areas heated?

:No. I've found my russians to be very tolerant of temps down into the mid-40s as long as they can warm up the next day. If it's cool at night followed by a cloudy, cool day, I'll bring them in. If it's gonna be in the lows 50s (or less) and raining, I bring them in. For the little guy I'm even more cautious.

::Is the soil well drained(does it dry out quickly)?

:It's a clay soil but I've thrown a lot of sand into it, so it drains better. The hide boxes have a brick floor, so they don't have to rest on damp soil. Plus the boxes are sealed tight and have adequate ventilation.

::How long have you had them set up like that?

:This is the 3rd year. No health problems of any sort and they've produced 13 eggs so far this year. The photo was taken after a stretch of rain, so looks wetter than normal.

::Ed
::(enquiring minds want to know)
::(btw, nice setup and animals)

:Thanks.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]