kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Cactus leaves for torts

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by zab on April 29, 2003 at 23:55:37:

In Reply to: Cactus leaves for torts posted by Passport on April 29, 2003 at 21:36:35:

You can singe the stickers off by holding the pads with tongs over the flame of a gas stove. To store them, the best advice is to plant them in dirt. (Don't singe the ones you plan to plant.) Just bury the end about 3" in dirt and don't water too much. THey will root and send up new pads. Those you can break off and feed to your tort. You'll never have to buy them again!

My local supermarket ordered me several pounds of cactus. Now I'm not sure how to remove the tiny spines. How much should I offer to the torts? And how often? The book in the store said it tastes like green beans and asparagus with a touch of lemon. Ummmmmmm. What's the best way to keep this until I use it up? Thanks.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]