kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Slow sulcata growth

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by oregonlizardlady on April 29, 2003 at 11:26:32:

In Reply to: Slow sulcata growth posted by turtlemom on April 29, 2003 at 10:05:40:

I must say that thats the most beautifull sulcata i have ever seen! Not even a hint of pyrimiding. What ever your doing your doing it right. Sulcatas don't grow fast in the wild and no matter what some ppl think SLOW GROWTH IS GREAT! I would be very intrested in hearing more about your set up. Great Job!

:I too live in S. CA and have raised my sulcata much the same as you are. She is doing very well. She grew very slowly at times and didn't start putting on a lot of growth until about 4-5 years old. She will be 6 soon and weighs about 6-7 pounds and is about 8 inches. When she was little I had a pen that could be moved around the yard so she could have a new selection of grasses and weeds every week or so. When she needed supplementle food it was usually romaine or some other type of lettuce. If your tortoise is grazing almost daily the little amount of romaine it has should be of no concern. If you don't have any hibsicus plants you should get some. They love the flowers. I have some pictures of Annie my tortoise in the Kingsnake photo gallery. They are about a year old but you can see how nice she is doing being raised on CA grass and sun. Her pics are in the photo gallery - tortoise section under user name turtlemom.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]