kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Lazy or realistic?...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by tortusjack on April 15, 2003 at 16:56:13:

In Reply to: Lazy or realistic?... posted by Niki on April 15, 2003 at 15:58:09:

Do you not have access to a supermarket?
I have a large qty of torts in my collection, yet never use a "dry feed".
When I think they need an extra "dose of food", outside of the lawn grass, I go to the supermarket & get them an unprecidented selection of veggies etc.

All that is spoken about the s/market veg are full of "pesticides etc" I have not yet seen any pitfalls to my torts, which have now been on this regime for several yrs.
I consider if it's good enough for humans, torts should be ok.
I'd never feed my torts with anything that I couldn't eat, (metiphorically speaking)

graham(UK)

:I don't think I'm lazy feeding Mazuri, however if I only had
:a small hatchling or small torotises I guess I could open my
:mouth and say that until I learned that: Purina makes Mazuri
:and I'm sure a little thought went into it since zoos all over
:the world use it. Growing grasses for a large tortoise to
:carry through the winter is a joke that only someone with no
:experience in actually trying that would suggest. Freezing
:any amount of weeds (along with the bugs and spiders etc...
:that'd be in it) would require a huge space for a larger
:specimen. Unless (and sometimes even though) you live in
:a wonderful environment, people who preach natural feeding only
:tend to be called "those looking to re-home their tortoise soon
:enough".

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]