kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: preparing for a first tortoise

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Nicodemus on April 05, 2003 at 21:20:33:

In Reply to: preparing for a first tortoise posted by alimx on April 05, 2003 at 00:03:08:

:Hello! I'm in the process of preparing for my first tortoise - probably a spur-thighed (Testudo sp.). I'm very curious about the posts regarding rubbermaid containers as habitats. At this point I'm not able to have a wooden box made, and my other option is a 20 long aquarium.

Don't use a 20 gallon aquarium...not worth it.

Rubbermaid's are nice, but I think they aren't very pretty in the house. I suggest looking for an "under the bed" box. They are as long and wide as the 55 gallon rubbermaids, but they aren't as tall (about 7-8 inches). They're typically good for temporary measures as the tort can climb out pretty easy once he gets bigger.

Why can't you build a box? You'd be surprised how easy it is. I built my own with a hand saw, a hammer, a 45-45-90 triangle, and a box of nails.
If it is lack of tools, I've found a few home improvement stores that rent tools out.
Heck, most places will cut the planks to the general size you need. All you'd need to do is hammer it together. Obviously some planning ahead is needed...calculations of sizes of boards and such.
My personal feeling is don't rush in. Get everything you need all set up and perfect before your get your new buddy. With that in mind, why bother with a small rubbermaid or 20 gallon aquarium when you'll just have to get something bigger down the road anyway.

:Long story short - if I go with the large rubbermaid container, what substrate do I use on the bottom and how do I maintain heat? TIA!!

Get a UVB first of all. Those crank out a decent amount of heat in themselves. Check your temp gradients (you should do this before getting the tort) and decide what else is needed. I'd suggest a 100 watt heat lamp. That worked pretty well for me.

As for substrate: whatever your tortoise species does well on. It wont matter what the substrate is in really.

Follow Ups:

[ Follow Ups ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]