kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I was thinking...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lacy on June 30, 2002 at 08:05:52:

In Reply to: How important are hiding places really??? Discussion..... posted by Toby on June 29, 2002 at 18:53:38:

Maybe you could just put a board staight up by a corner somehow so that it wouldn't fall or move. That way they could have their privacy between the board and the side of the pen, but the top would be open so they would also be getting the UVB rays from your light. I think I have seen that somewhere before... But I can not remember for the life of me.. Sorry. Maybe someone else can elaborate on this for me, whether it's good or bad ;)
--Lacy

: As I sit here at my computer and watch my hatchling Egyptian Tortoises something has occurred to me. I love the Active UV bulbs and swear by them (T-Rex) but I'm not too sure that my torts take full advantage of this great bulb. They are in their hiding places MOST of the day and not out basking in the important UVB rays offered by my 10 hour light cycle.
: So my question is why use hiding places at all? The torts cannot be getting much of anything from the bulb if they are hiding all day! The bulbs are expensive and probably over the life of them, expensive to run also. So what if I get rid of the hiding places? One might say "They need to thermoregulate". Your right, but they can just mosy on over to the other side of the cage where it isn't as hot. One might also say "They feel secure in hiding places" Your right, but does this contribute to their overall health and growth? I don't know the answer to this.
: I know this is long, but are hiding places really necessary? I just hate sitting here and watching this bulb burn bright and knowing that although the torts are enjoying the ambient heat they generate, they are not taking full advantage of what is equally and maybe more important, the UVB that I paid $50 bucks to get. I could buy a $7.00 heat bulb and they would still enjoy the heat. It's almost as if you need a motion detector to turn the Active UV bulb on when they stepo out of their hiding places.

: I would appreciate all of your thoughts on this. This is just for discussion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]