return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: redfoot or leopard tortoise for pet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe on February 21, 1999 at 22:49:48:

In Reply to: Re: redfoot or leopard tortoise for pet posted by Celeste on February 21, 1999 at 22:04:18:

: : I've been researching tortoises as I would like to have a pair for pets. The question I have is personality. Do different species have different personalities. You know is there a difference in friendlyness between the species. I really think that the dry climate in my state would be better for a leopard than for a red foot but have had people tell me that leopards are shy and not particuarly personalble. They say that red foots and african spurred tortoises are more outgoing and like (tolrate) humans more. Is this true or is does it very from animal to animal not species to species.
: : Any info on this subject would be great.
: : thanks
: : darren

: ****
: I have sulcatas (african spurred tortoises) and I can say that they are great pets. They have lots of personality, they come up to me when I am walking in the yard and they let me hand feed them. I have also had a russian tortoise that was packed with personality (but they are small). I have had many other small tortoises in the past, but I will only get sulcatas now. They are the best. They are the one pet that I will never get rid of.

Can't tell ya much about leopards.... but,I have russians and redfoots. Both are very personable. The redfoots are the more outgoing. They like high humidity but do well without as long as there is plenty of water available. Check out beasleys home page Http://www.geocities.com/heartland/meadows/4159/beasley.html

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]