kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I checked out your website...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Marissa Armour - Turtle Homes on June 28, 2002 at 11:31:49:

In Reply to: Re: I checked out your website... posted by Cat* on June 27, 2002 at 17:08:45:

Hi Cat,

I'm not sure if you were talking to me from my post, but you replied to one of your posts, not mine. I understand you are housing your two tortoises together and that is what you have decided. You also came here looking for information and when other people's information conflicted with your own setups, you chose to ignore good advice from those more experienced than you. If you got your tortoises from a pet shop, especially a Russian and a hingeback, I can almost guarantee they are not only WC, but probably loaded with worms and/or parasites too. Now, sharing them between each other since they are housed together. Much of the research out there is against housing tortoises of totally different species together, and people have also listed many valid reasons, which for some reason you are also choosing to ignore. You seem more interested in making a website to help other tortoise owners, however, with your limited knowledge and experience, my advice is to learn more and fix your own setups before thinking of helping someone else...or giving them advice on the poor (IMHO) care practices you are currently using. You wrote to me looking for info on how to join the Turtle Homes list, which I provided to you. However, turtle and tortoise people tend to revolve in and out of the same online communities and I think you will find with your present line of questioning and your outlook and answers to others, that you will find yourself possibly winding up in the same situation on my list as you are encountering here as well....This forum does not "harass new ideas" as you put it. I think this forum puts down "bad" ideas, which I think your current housing-together solution with no quarrantine is. When you continue to ignore good advice, people get frustrated and in their ultimate concern for your tortoises they lash out with emails that are not always so nice. I am guilty of it too. With the cheap price of another tank or enclosure, it is not understandable why you continue to choose this path. You said below that as long as people understand that you ARE housing these tortoises together, that you would be open to any suggestions. Well, the only solution is to separate them, so I don't guess you will have much in the way of additional advice. That is like saying "I AM going to swim with great white sharks, but if anyone has any suggestions on how I can prevent getting bitten by sharks, I'm open to ideas". Obviously, the solution is to NOT swim with sharks. Your housing solution is much the same. There is so much to learn and even people with alot of experience are always learning. You should have a more open attitude and outlook for your tortoises if you want to truly be an interactive member of any turtle or tortoise community.

: I have trouble understanding why this forum harasses new ideas, i know the differences in the species and I have found a solution, and it isn't permanant I think you are a little late on your response I thought I had concluded that this is what is going on, I am housing them together, I am not asking if I should, i am, and I will be open to any ideas of people after they understand that I AM housing them together, and you may be able to offer helpful advice. I am making this site, and I am going to spend a great deal on it. To help others.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]