kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Okay goodbye

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Bill Griffin on June 27, 2002 at 13:08:03:

In Reply to: Re: Okay goodbye posted by Cat* on June 27, 2002 at 12:47:01:

Cat, in what part of the country do you live, and is it feasable to have your tortoises outside, in separate enclosures?

Sounds like a nice little set up, although I still suggest separating the two species - as in the long run, they will be healthier, and they really don't need each other to live happy lives. Also, the 30 gallon is probably even too small for each tortoise itself.

The unidentified plant, should be indentified to inusure that it is safe - there are many house plants that are toxic to tortoises - and it may just take time for the toxins to affect the tortoises.

My opinions.

: My enclosure, 30 gallon tank, peat moss lays over a bed of soil, a uv light goes across the top, to provide "sunlight" throughout the enclosure, spineless cactus' were in the enclosure but were immediatly eaten by the russian the day I put them in, a small pad of regular edible grass lies over a patch of soil where no peat moss is, one monkey grass plant lies in the corner, another easy to keep plant which leafes are graetly enjoyed by the tortoise, but remains unidentified, is in the center, creating a nice shady and digging area, a 2-3 in. or more deep pot holder makes the perfect fit for each tortoise, and provides a nice "pool"- the water is changed daily- an old hermit crab , "rock" dish holds the food mix I give to them, and an under-the-tank heating pad, gives heat to the tortoise when it digs underground.I have a desk lamp pointed into the cage in another corner so the tortoises can bask if they wish. I have a certain "wall" I placed around the tank so the tortoise is not confused about the clear glass. I spray the hingeback each day with a fine mister , and the russian enjoys walking over to feel the "rain". The heat pad is always kept on, the uv light and basking light is turned off when I go to bed, turned on when I wake up.
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]