return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: What to get

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Celeste on February 20, 1999 at 21:50:11:

In Reply to: What to get posted by Brian on February 18, 1999 at 22:49:31:

: Hello, I would like maybe some web sites that are really really good, or just your opinions on what type of tortise to start with. I have kept a vast variety of different reptiles, and my current pets are 3 tiger salamanders, 2 honduran milks, 1 large iguana, 2 bearded dragons, and 2 rotties. I have just purchased a new home, and I couldnt believe it when my girlfriend said that i could convert an entire room in this house to a reptile room. I have been wanting 2 tortises for quite some time, but I just didnt have the room to provide for them. Now I do. I have been leaning towards the red-foot, or the leopard. Where can I goto to find out most everything there is to know on these guys, to make a proper decision on what to get. I am not sure if i will be able to provide lots of outside time, in the sun, probably would be something more along the lines of weekends only, and maybe 4-6 months out of the year. This will probably have a big berring one what tortises would work well for me, and which ones probably would not. Unlike alot of people, before I purchase something to raise up, I try and learn everything I can on that animal. I have never had an animal die on me due to my not knowing of all his needs, and I do not intend to start now. Please give me all the feed back you can on what tortises would best suite the habitat that I can provide. Also, if you know of any really helpful links that I should pay very careful attention to, that would help as well.

: Thank you in advance.

Hi, I have had Bells Hingebacks and Forest Hingebacks, Russian, and Sulcata tortoises. For a small indoor (mostly) enclosure I would recommend going with small tortoises, like hingebacks or russians. The bells hingebacks and Russians are fairly hardy. They will need lots of UV and heat. They will also need a good constant supply of greens (clover, strawberry, grass, and other veggies) and will need to go outside whenever possible. I now have 9 Sulcatas and am fortunate to have a large outdoor enclosure for them, because they are getting very big. I would opt not to get the red foot until you have an outdoor space for them to be for a good part of the year. Tortoises make great pets. We have had many snakes, lizards, and amphibians too, but we traded them all in for our tortoises . They have so much personallity. I hope you can find one to suit you. But take your time looking for they live a very long time!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]