kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Having troubles breeding Greek Tortoises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Meghan on June 04, 2002 at 20:06:02:

In Reply to: Having troubles breeding Greek Tortoises posted by Shannon71 on June 04, 2002 at 11:16:41:

How long ago did you get the female? If it wasnt too long ago then you should quarentine her from the male for a while just in case she is sick and isnt showing it yet. I dont own greeks but I just got a female Russian and sometimes she gets into the males side (they are seperated and outside) and he tries to mate with her but she runs and hides.

: i obtained a male greek about a year and a half maybe closer to two years. i got him from a girl whom purchased him from a pet shop. he was about as big around as a pop can and has grown to about the size of a medium sized grapefruit or a very large orange.
:
: he seems to be healthy, with a huge appetite, so im ok there. about 6 weeks ago his behavior change as he became extremely active and i was told by a very respectable herpatologist he probably has reached breeding age, and was probably searching for a mate hince all the movement.
:
: i was fortunate to locate an adult female whom is atleast twice his size. when i introduced them he immediately tried to mate with her which did not set well with her then or now. she will not submit to him. everyday, once or twice a day he will fiercely try to breed with her but she runs or turns to not allow penetration.
:
: is this normal and can u think of any reasons why she wouldnt submit? also, is it normal for the male to be darker in color with defined yellow marking? the male has the marking of a youngster and she is much more tanner with faded black markings. also the males shell is alot more flatter than hers.....if i wasnt experienced somewhat with reptiles i would say they were two different species. she is very round...is it common for the male to have a flatter shaped shell?
:
: with the two looking so different, im beginning to become fearful maybe theres something wrong with the male and she recognizes it and thats why she wont submit, is that possible? please dont paint the picture in your mind he has a flat shell like a red ear slider or he looks deformed because he's not......just compared to her he's shaped differently with the marking of a youngster. the guy i got the female from said she was 5-10 years old and so was he. im thinking he is closer to 4 or 5.
:
: can you give me any feedback? id deeply appreciate it.
:
: thanks,
: shannon

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL: