kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Brad- Can you help me with my brand new eggs?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by brad wilson on May 31, 2002 at 14:49:53:

In Reply to: Brad- Can you help me with my brand new eggs? posted by Tom on May 31, 2002 at 14:20:19:

I follow the general guidelines offered at www.tortoisetrust.org and in Tortoise Trust books.

I used a Hovabator incubator. It is designed to hatch chicken eggs but the temps can be set for reptile eggs. Use the basic model that doesn't have a fan. For russian tortoises you shoot for around 86F. You can go a few degrees lower or higher if you want to hatch males or females, but I just went for 86.

I put the eggs on vermiculite, which can be purchased cheaply at a garden store. Dampen the vermiculite with water and then hand squeeze it until mostly dry. Put the vermiculite in a plastic tub, and then place the eggs partially buried into the tub. Put the tub in the incubator, insert a digital temp probe nex to the eggs. Also put a bowl of water in the incubator to provide additional humidity. check the vermiculite. If it gets dry, add a little water, but don't wet the eggs. Replenish water bowl. Check temps.

Wait 60-75 days.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]