kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

lay into me... what have I not thought of?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by nathan on May 24, 2002 at 08:42:46:

My wife and I are within 2 weeks of moving to our new house (might be done building today! see pictures at www.aileo.com) We are going to be on about 2 acres, and have already planned a privacy fenced area of at least 50'x100' to build my dream eden for all the box turtles and aquatics. Inside it I plan on a few pens for juvenile boxies/woods, and indoors will have tanks for hatchling/juvenile aquatics. I'd also like to build a pen for a sulcata. We are in central North Carolina. The location is on top of a hill, with excellent drainage, no trees blocking sun (we will be planting what we need).

I will be able to expand the pen as necessary, to provide a grazing area of size not much limited (can do 50'x50' if I need to, or even larger). We should be there for the next 10-15 years before buying a larger piece of land and building our "dream house". Within 3 years we plan on adding a 25'x12' greenhouse/sunroom, which the sulcata will have free access to via a "tortoise door".

Until that is built, we plan on having an indoor enclosure for the day time, most likely something like Niki's indoor housing for Teddy. That would be built this winter, using a rubbermaid until then.

While small (until sunroom is built) the tortoise will be outside during the day in good weather, and I'll either get a doghouse to raise off the ground, or build a box (teddy's and tofu's inspirational homes) for protection during possible inclemental weather when we are stuck at work or something.

I believe I've thought of most of the housing issues. I can expand size of a pen (concrete walls, either block or poured) basically unlimited... I'm not worried about burrowing, as I won't have anything "destroyable" that I care about in the pen. The only real limitation is the winter housing when it is large, the 12x25 sunroom. I'm hoping it is "smart" like grahamUK's torts and some other folks I've emailed with, and will learn to come in from the cold if it needs to, once the sunroom is up.

Dietary, we plan on planting grazing foods throughout the pen, and will also have grape vines, mulberry, fig, and hibiscus growing throughout our property. I expect that when possible, this will be the sole diet, with occasional additions of carrot, yellow squash, and such vegetables, dusted with suppliment. Cuttlebone will be available at all times, if not used, an occasional leafy green treat with dust.

Winters we will attempt to grow trays of whatever possible in the house, and the lawns generally stay green if waterred through winter here, so the grazing area outdoors can have clippings brought in. We will also suppliment with store greens, baled hays, and possibly prepared diet such as mazuri.

natural sunlight outdoors, uvb powersun and reptisun types indoors/winter.

Soaking schedule, something on the order of every 2-3 days as a baby, 3-4 as a juvenile, and less as an adult.

We are still a ways away from purchasing the sulcata. We have to move, build the turtle yard and pens, and then build the yard pen for it before we can consider it, so we've been debating back and forth and trying to poke holes in our plans now, so we are less surprised later.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Let me have it!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]