kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: NEED CAGE IDEAS!!! PLEASE HELP...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Freight on May 18, 2002 at 20:39:45:

In Reply to: NEED CAGE IDEAS!!! PLEASE HELP... posted by Grape on May 18, 2002 at 17:01:05:

The 40 gallon breeder tank for anything more than a 4 - 5 inch tort is kind of cruel, especially for 2, 7 inch sulcatas. Beside that, one thing you could do is forget about an enclosure and give them free run of the dorm. This brings forth other issues, sulcatas poop alot, so maybe some plastic drop cloth from Home Depot,or lots of newspaper.

My sulcata, 30lbs, has the run of 2 large rooms when I'm not home, he sleeps in an insulated wooden shipping crate with a heat lamp inside, and a large plastic tray to catch poops on the bottom.On the side of the crate are his basking and UVB lights which hang off 2 shelf brackets that are attatched to a shelving unit , hanging over a 12" x 18" slate which warms his belly and protects the floor, and his food is on a plastic lid from a sweater box.

He usually poops in the box, (but not always), which makes clean up pretty easy. He loves to throw the hay off his greens, so thats another occasional mess to clean, and sometimes he gets mad and pees on the floor.

You could put your bed up on blocks so they can have more floor space, as dorm rooms tend to be pretty small, milk crates work pretty well, and if your lucky you'll get a room with linoleum instead of carpet which makes clean up much easier.

I think the multi-level enclosure would be OK for a climbing species, but the problem is, if the sulcata flips over while going up or down it could die, so its probably not a real safe bet.

If you need a picture of my setup, I could take one tomorrow to give you a better idea of doing a setup with simplicity.

Hope all that helps, but you still need to keep in mind that they can grow very fast. Suka is just over 4yo at 30lbs, and he has gained 27 of those pounds in 3 years on the right diet, with lots of time outside during the good weather. Another problem is as they reach maturity they could start to fight, and territorial disputes in a dorm room could get pretty ugly, and if its 2 males you'll really be in deep s**t, so take that into account too. Separating 2 sulcatas in a room the size of a large closet won't be easy!

Good luck!

Freight

: I have 2 sulcata torts and I want to make them a larger home than their current 40 gallon breeder. I will be moving to collage in 1 yr and want to take them with me, so whatever I make needs to remain small for the most part. I would like to make them a cage with several floors and on the top floor want to have a tortoise table type enviroment. Any clues on how to do this? I also need to try and keep the cost down. I am only 16 and do not yet work, but I have $100 saved up that I am plannin to spend on the cage. My parents help me with the vet bills and I grow their own food, so.... can anyone suggest anything? BTW my torts are 2.5 yrs old and are rougphly 7 inces from head to tail. thanks for any help

: R. Grape, Jr.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]