kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Reintroduced Siamese Crocodile exhibits first time nesting . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Chaco tortoise question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Giovanni on May 18, 2002 at 18:18:17:

In Reply to: Chaco tortoise question posted by Bee on May 18, 2002 at 15:42:09:

: Does anyone know if Chaco tortoises would do well in Southern Ca weather?

The Chaco Tortoise (Geochelone chilensis)is a South American Tortoise that closely resembles a Sulcata Tortoise. The interesting thing about them is that they are the closest realitive of the Galapogas tortoise, but the smallest of the 3
species from South America ( Galap, Redfoot, Yellowfoot). You would think that being an SA tortoise that they would do best in a humid environment, but like the galap the prefer a semi desert scrub, to graze and be happy..so CA could be a good place for them. Also, I am not sure of their current CITES status, you may want to check on that because they are known as a rare tortoise.
I got a chance to hold one at the Daytona Show last year and took a picture of it, it was beautiful. I think the gentleman who had it ( and a Bowspirit Tortoise as well) wanted $3,500.00 dollars for it. I think he called it an Argentina Tortoise.

: Are Chaco tortoises hardy or sensitive tortoises?

I apologize but I won't attempt to answer that question, I have never had one in captivity. That question should only be directed to somebody who has the hands on experience with this tortoise. I have read conflicting accounts regarding "hibernation" and "brumation" with this breed. When those words come up, experience with tortoises that require this cycle is imperitive. I included a link for you to check out that may help you dig a little deeper.

: How are they compared to Greek tortoises??

Very similar but from 2 different hemispheres. The Spur Thigh is probably alot cheaper and much easier.

Ciao'

Giovanni

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]