kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Golden Greek Tortoise info desparately needed!!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Freight on May 18, 2002 at 15:53:26:

In Reply to: Re: Golden Greek Tortoise info desparately needed!!!! posted by Kuhrayz on May 16, 2002 at 20:58:14:

I live in the Northeast where the weather is very ifish and we definitely have long winters, and I have to keep all of my guys in alot of the time. If you provide a good diet, basking, and UVB along with occasional calcium supplementation you should be fine, but keep in mind the more you can get them outside, the better it is for them!

As far as enclosure size, the bigger the better! I just built a 4' x 5' enclosure to house 2 Goldens, but if I had the room I would make it much bigger. My new outdoor enclosure is 4' x 16' and that gives them lots of space to exercise and enjoy the outdoors.

These torts seem pretty active and love to be able to get around, so if you can't do a really large enclosure, maybe you can go as big as possible and let them run around the house, or outside for a few hours a day.

I think we'll be seeing alot more info on these in the not too distant future.There have been alot of them recently brought into the country, and I'm sure that do to the lack of info someone will get it together and write some more concrete info on their care.

Ultimately , from what I can see so far, their care is pretty easy as long as you provide the basic necessities and be observant. Lastly, find a qualified vet now, as you'll definitely need to have them de-wormed, and you never know what will happen in the future!

Good luck!

Freight

: Hi Freight!

: Thank you so much for taking the time to provide so much detail!! I found a few sites with forums and I read alot. Unfortunately, it seems there are not many Golden Greek parents out there...or maybe I just haven;t looked deep enough.

: The info you gave me is PERFECT!!! And, a great start for me.

: If you don;t mind, I have a few more questions. Do you think keeping him in the house is a bad idea? What size home do you feel would vbe appropriate?

: I know, I have so many questions, but again...thank you so very much!

: K

:
: : Hi; I recently found myself in the same dilema as you and was told on numerous occasions that you can simply follow the care of Greek torts and you'll be fine. Next problem: the Greek tort care sheets don't seem to be all that great, so here is what I have found works.

: : The Greeks seem to be relatively temperature tollerant, and can easily handle the low 70's at night and I'm sure probably down into the low 60's, but I'm not willing to try it, as the areas they come from have a varied range of temps. Some of the countries where they are found actually have winter, and sometimes snow. Many have wet cool temps for at least some part of the year, and the summers can be anywhere from the 80's to the 100's.

: : Basking is very important and you can test their basking spot either with a thermometer, or even better by putting your hand there for about one minute to see if you can tollerate it. Adjust by either raising or lowering the light, or changing wattage. UVB light is very important, and last I knew Reptisun is still the best, you can get a good deal on the bulb at The Bean Farm online, and you can get a cheap $7.50, 4 foot fixture from Home Depot called a shop light. Its made for 2 bulbs, but works fine with one, and you can't beat the price. A diet similar to a sulcata diet seems to work well consisting of mostly greens mixed with hay, which keeps the stools firm, and the occasional treats of fruit, or sweet veggies. A hide box is also important, as they like to have a place to retreat.

: : They seem to be pretty active, so it would be wise to provide a large space where they can roam, and get plenty of exercise. Watch out with the food, as they can do some serious eating, and although our male doesn't show signs of overweight, I try to keep tabs on him, because he will eat everything in sight.

: : As for hibernation, I have been well advised against this for ANY species, as you do risk the chance of major illness, or death. I know many people try to mimic a natural setting, and some look for a break in care during the winter, but why jeopardize the animal when they will be perfectly fine inside. All of my turts/torts go somewhat dormant during the winter as a result of the outdoor weather, so while they are not in a deep state of hibernation, they do get a "break" from the usual as a natural response to climactic change. Just my opinion, and it doesn't mean that there aren't people who are great at working out hibernation successfully, and wether or not it has a profound effect on the animals over time, I have not seen any concrete statistics.

: : In closing, I really think you'll love the Golden Greeks, as they are very sweet and have tons of personality! If you need anything else, I'm more than happy to offer assistance!

: : Freight
: :

:
: : : Hi! I love reptiles, turtles particularly, and already have 2 red-eared sliders (and a beautiful snake).

: : : I am going to get a Golden Greek Tortoise and am looking for some great research materials prior to my purchase so that I am able to properly care for him/her. The only problem is, I have not been very successful in gathering much data. Does anyone know of any sites dedicated to this breed??? What I am hoping to find is information pertaining to the care of, diet, hiberation and so forth. Also, I am aware that these cuties remain pretty small in size (which is why I want one of the Greeks as I am to be a first time totoise mommie)but would like info on that, as well.

: : : I guess I am looking for anything on them!

: : : Thank you all so much in advance!!!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]