return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Lyre Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gecko . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - May 25, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Tucson Herpetological Society Meeting - May 27, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - June 01, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: baby sucata always sleeping??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by graham on February 13, 1999 at 11:46:02:

In Reply to: baby sucata always sleeping?? posted by Vinny on February 12, 1999 at 16:02:37:

Almost 18 mths ago I purchased a pair of sulcata babies, & a simalar thing happened to me .
At the time I was a novice to sulcata welfare & husbandry, so although I bought books & sought advice still my little "jill" remained sleeping.
For four weeks we assumed that this was normal as we thought that being a baby as with humans, all that babies do is sleep.
Our vet was giving his best advice but to no avail.
By the 6th weeek, our really active "jack" was romping away with food & growing, but still "jill" barely moved.
In the end we & the vet decided that the best thing for her was to be admitted to the vets clinic for further tests, although maybe too late in the day.
Sadly she died whilst in his care, not through his lack of knowledge, but through liver/kidney/heart failure.
We thought that the best course of action here was to order a post mortem, forgetting the cost factor, as it was more important to learn what was the underlying causes of our problem, on the chance that this may ever happen again.
To retype for you the entire post mortem pages, would be useless, unless you are medically knowledgeable, plus I'm a one fingered typist.
Here is a basic of what it say's....
...Lungs, distended,compatable with severe pulmonary oedema.
...Kidney, focal calcification of adjacent connective tissue.
...Liver, surface congestion, with distended gall bladder.
...Cholesterol bladder calculi are unusual & suggestive of improper nutrition/limited access to water.
The list goes on, but while you've taken the time to read this, your animal is still poorly.
IF I'D have known that baby torts should not sleep 22hrs aday, she may have been saved.
May I sincerly offer you this piece of advice..
DO NOT WAIT AS I DID,GET YOUR ANIMAL IMMEDIATLY
TO A HERP VET, & HOPE THAT HE CAN SAVE YOUR BABY.
My "jack" has now reached 21mth's of age, is 21cm & 1.5kg.
I could kick myself for not doing something sooner for "jill".(RIP)
graham(uk)
aka Tortusjack

: I have purchased a baby sulcata in Nov of last year, everything appears to be doing fine, except he is always sleeping, except to eat, I have provided what I think is a very good environment(I often use this forum for info,) and I also have a redfoot, so I do know a little, about torts, is this a winter thing, or what??
: I have the heat range correct, with all the stuff, basking lamp, uv lamps, etc,
: any suggestions,??

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]