kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Egyptian Tortoises

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Doug on May 12, 2002 at 23:28:14:

In Reply to: Egyptian Tortoises posted by Frank on May 12, 2002 at 13:26:11:

My little guy is one of those who, fortunately for us both, is pretty bulletproof. By way of example: I got him when my neighbor's dog picked him up in their backyard and carried him over in her mouth. My neighbor knew I was a reptile keeper, so he gave him to me. To this day I have no idea where he came from (certainly not indigenous.) He appeared to have been actually living on his own in the wild.

It took me a while to even identify his species, as Egyptians are pretty uncommon and no one I spoke to could help (didn't know about this forum at the time.) So I began his care on a generic-tortoise track, until I finally identified him (via a wave file online.) Only then, after a few months, did I find out that kleinmanni are considered rather delicate. Which brings me to a theory.

I've heard it postulated that certain individuals are just better able to survive, regardless of conditions, than others. I believe it.

You know the type of stats, "8 out of 10 widgets die within X months" or whatever. Well it's my belief that those 2 that make it have a little something special. You may have heard the wacky tales like an Eastern Box celebrating 50 years of eating pizza and ice cream in captivity, and the like. Meanwhile, many keepers bend over backward to establish perfect conditions for their charges and lose them anyway.

Now I'm not suggesting proper care doesn't matter, not at all. I just expect that it goes something like: most animals will do okay if given their basic requirements, some will die regardless, and others just seem to survive, sometimes in spite of their surroundings. My Egyptian seems to be of the latter, most forgiving ilk, and though I always do my best for him, I'm quite glad for it.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]