kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Good point..thanks Nathan

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Chris H on May 10, 2002 at 15:50:59:

In Reply to: Re: ???? posted by nathan on May 10, 2002 at 14:45:50:

: : Redfoots are twice as hard to care for than box turtles.

: : They require proper humidity, a larger enclosure, much more maintanence and time.

: **** Boxies also require proper humidity, a very large enclosure, and a lot of maintenance, if you aren't just slowly letting them deteriorate to nothing. My groups are a lot of work. 4'x8' pen is significant to maintain, and barely adequate for a pair. I'm not a redfoot keeper, but their maintenance is marginally different from a box turtle, with the exception that they don't burrow extensively, and need much less meat in their diet (providing quality meat sources freshly is not easy).

: : I'm not trying to start an arguement, but how do you figure redfoots are more easier to care for than boxies?

:
: *******I wouldn't suggest that they are easier, just that they are not more difficult, or they are both roughly the same. Sure, you can chuck a boxie into the yard and it will likely make do and survive a while, where as a redfoot won't, but boxies and redfoots have more in common than you'd think, the main difference being size, and the cold hardiness (boxies from wrong localities can get the hardiness back, but won't have it initially).

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]