kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Question For EJ

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Michelle on May 09, 2002 at 07:04:58:

Sorry to target you for this question, but you seem to be the most knowledgeable. I've posted this question before and no one has ever replied. I have a 19 inch male with sensitive eyes. He never has a problem indoors or outside on crocrete. As soon as he is placed in the grass, his eyes swell up within a few minutes. This has gone on since he was a few inches long. I took him to several vets in the NYC and Nassau area, but was only ripped off and misdiagnosed. He is kept in a 8' by 4' wood enclosure. The 3 reptisun 5.0 bulbs are about7 inches from the top of the shell. The temp is about 100 on the hot and 85 on the cool side. The bedding is timothy grass hay. I feed small amounts of romaine, turnip greens and kale. I feed larger amounts of Mazuri tortoise diet, chickory, dandelion and cut graas. The same unfertilized grass that causes the eye swelling is ok for eating, but not brushing against the eye. Do you have any ideas for this problem, as far as the cause, cure, supplementation or a good area vet in New York City? Sorry this post is so long. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]