kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Can a virus save Frogs from fungal disease? . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Ringneck Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: In need of red foot info...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by David on May 08, 2002 at 09:05:40:

In Reply to: In need of red foot info... posted by Steven on May 07, 2002 at 20:52:00:

>>What fruits and vegetables should I feed it(the redfoot)?

I feed my red foot all types of vegetables. Instead of lettuce, which is almost devoid of all nutrition, I feed him chicory, kale(sparingly), watercress, collard greens(sparingly), and if I have to feed him lettuce I use romaine. I also shred up different types of squash, carrots, sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, prickly pear(HIGHLY RECOMMENDED), celery, etc. As far as fruits go I like to give him strawberries now and then as a treat, apples diced into tiny pieces(he is a tiny juvenile so he likes small chunks), melon, orange, pear, and he loves bannana. Of course calcium and other supplements should be dusted on top of meals at least 3 times a week. All these foods are good for a red foot(from what I have read) but you may want to refer to this page(which has been as helpful as anything)

http://www.geocities.com/~pawsplus/beasley.html

This page will show you beasley(a young tortoise) as well as persephone(an adult). Priceless information all around about diet, enclosure, and general care.

>>The second is about housing. What substrate should I keep my red foot on?

I've tried cypress mulch and it is great for humidity. However, the health of Terpsy(my redfoot) seemed to go downhill with this stuff. He got nose bubbles and I ended up having to give him shots of baytril(not fun). I can definitely not say that this was caused by the cypress, but it was coincidental. I have since switched to a green carpet type thing that is nice and soft and cleanable, it's also easy to manage. His health is great now.

>>Can I use topsoil, or does it need to be "grassy". Should I keep it indoors or outdoors? Also about housing, what size enclosure do I need? If I should keep it inside, I have a 20 gal. aquarium. Would this work? If not, I can always buy a large rubbermaid tub. If I can keep it outdoors, I have a 3 ft. by 4 ft. pen I can keep it in.

You could use topsoil but be sure to find organic soil that has not been treated with any type of fertilizer or pesticides. Keeping them outdoors is surely a good idea because they benefit greatly from the natural light of the sun. Keeping them outside also exposes them to all sorts of predators. Keeping the tortoise's enclosure secure is absolutely necessary, as various curious animals could do serious damage to a tortoise. If you keep it indoors you have to take temperature and humidity into consideration. You want a temperature variance, having one side around 75-80 and the other side closer to 90-100. Also they love to hide and burrow, providing for this is necessary as well.

And my final question, what kind of plants should I put in my red foots enclosure?

Hibiscus, clover, impatiens(not the touch-me-nots), opuntia(prickly pear), grazing grass, etc. Again, refer to the URL above for specifics and links to nutritional/toxicity information regarding household plants.

So far my red foot has been a dream. I am having so much fun setting up his outdoor enclosure. I am just scared about a blue heron that keeps hunting at my backyard pond, now I have to assure that terpsy has full coverage.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]