kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

questions about my greek tortoise hatchlings enclosure -

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by obakefan on May 03, 2002 at 12:05:59:

Hi everyone!

A few questions about my Greek Tortie hatchlings -

1. First, I had already posted a while ago about the size discrepancy between the two girls, who are from the same clutch. I'm not worried about that too much anymore, as I've watched and am certain that both are eating plenty. But one is very obviously much bigger than the other. No pyramiding, shell problems, MBD, etc. They're very healthy, just very differently sized.

I was planning on moving both girls into a new 55-gallon tank that I got - it had been suggested that I might want to separate the two girls because of the size discrepancy. Do you think that's a good idea? I would be quite able to leave one in the tank they now have (actually a Rubbermaid that's approximately the same square footage) and move the other two the 55-gallon if you guys think that would be best. Or would they be better off being together since they have been for their entire lives.

2. I have had them both on the artificial turf-grass that the pet stores sell for reptiles. The breeder had suggested keeping them on paper towels or newspaper for a while after I first got them, but never said when to switch them. I picked up a couple of bags of the reptile alfalfa-pellety things last night. Is this a more appropriate substrate for them or should I stick to the Bed-A-Beast I use for my boxies?

3. How often do you find it appropriate to feed hatchlings? I know with my boxies, you feed several times a week, but skipping a day here and there is appropriate. I've been feeding every day with a diet created from the Tortoise Trust tortoise diet book. The girls are approximately 7 months old now -

4. Several books I've seen, and from the breeder, too, I've heard that feeding Greeks any kind of fruit with lots of sugar is really bad for them. So I haven't been feeding fruit. Is there something that you guys have experience with that is good for them but not too much sugar to cause yeast issues in the stomach?

I love the girls! They are very different from my boxies - plus I'm getting to watch them grow up from the beginning :-) I'm strongly considering a redfoot hatchling, too, because I've enjoyed these ones so much. I do a lot of research, but since folks on this board have hands-on experience, I feel more comfortable asking y'all how you have handled your babies.

Thanks in advance!!!

Jenny

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]