kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Pancake Tortoise egg incubation poll...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Matt J. on April 27, 2002 at 13:16:14:

Hey, all,

I'd like to get a thread going here about different methods of Pancake Tortoise egg incubation. I'd like to hear about set up, materials, incubation medium, humidity, etc... from anyone who has hatched them. I've had limited success over the years and still wonder if there is a "best" method to maximize the number of hatchlings.

My setup: I use Hovabator styrofoam incubators. I put down a moist layer of vermiculite on the bottom (clumps well when squeezed). I then place an egg in a clear, pre-drilled display type deli cup with only slightly moist vermiculite. I keep the depth of the egg to about half way into the medium. The ambient humidity comes from the vermiculite on the bottom of the incubator. Temps are kept from around 87 to 90 on a constant basis. I'm also going to try a method very similar to what Victor Loehr has used where an open container is used for each egg. The vermiculite is relatively dry (3:1 ratio of vermiculite to water by weight) and temps are 87 to 90 (32 C.) for 12 hours during the day and drop to 77 to 80 (25 C.) at night (12 hours). I'm going to bury the egg completely in the relatively dry vermiculite and keep ambient humidity up in the incubator with a deli cup of two half full of water.

Any thoughts, input or opinions appreciated. Maybe if we get enough posts here we may see some trend from keepers with more successful incubation methods. Also, if anyone has any links to detailed information, please post them. What I can find on the internet is pretty basic and lacking on exact details for the most part.

Thanks

Matt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]