kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Well...said..........

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Georgia on April 25, 2002 at 22:40:10:

In Reply to: Re: Well... posted by Ian on April 24, 2002 at 01:00:39:

: So, by this theory, I'm assuming in order to have a dog as a pet you must provide acres of territory to roam and a pack to roam with? And don't forget a den and wild game to hunt. Ya know, cuz that's what their ancestors did. Noble intentions, but skewed logic. Turtles and tortoises are intelligent and adaptable creatures. They have sensations and memory. Why is it so hard to believe that a tort could percieve a car ride for exactly what it is, and even enjoy the experience? Looks like a happy and healthy tortoise to me . . . Go Niki.

I have never understood people who have pets that don't interact with them. What is the point of having a dog and leaving it out in the yard and never spending time with it other than feeding and cleaning up after it. Why have any pet unless you are going to make it an important part of your life. We have two sulcatas. One, Buster, since he was smaller than my palm, loved, held, hand fed, introduced to everyone who comes around, played with, taken for walks, sit or lay with him in the grass and let him walk all over you, tease him with shoe laces tips, play ball ( he pushes it around) and oh my the worst of all, he is allowed to open the sliding screen door on his own when he wants to tour the house to see what is going on and then goes back out side. He'll walk up to any one, not charge or ram, he comes out of his shell easliy at the vets and he travels well also. These are all things he has been exposed to all his life and he is comfortable because we are there for him. He sees us and he knows he is ok. NOW we have one that is twice the size of Buster. Tonka we adopted, mainly because he had been a gift to someone who really could not take care of him. He was going to be purchased sight unseen, most likely for breeding. We adopted/bought him to give him a stable home life. He is in no way as secure as Buster is. His ramming has calmed down over the years, but he still does it, it is becoming easier to sit in the grass with him without being rammed and he follows us like a puppy now. I fully believe if he had been raised like Buster, he would be just a sweet as Buster. My point.....why have a pet if you aren't going to interact with it. If left alone, it should never have been purchased/adopted in the first place.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]