kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Stop . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lisa and Virgil on April 22, 2002 at 11:23:04:

In Reply to: the downside of writing your opinion. posted by wendi on April 22, 2002 at 09:32:26:

: Does it sound like I treat Tofu like a science project? Horrors! Not at all. I talk to her, pet her, rub her leathery neck, etc., etc. I definitely interact with her all the time. When she was small I'd sit for hours, no joke, and talk to her, and watch her antics.
: Ah, no I didn't mean that about the dogs. It makes it hard for people to really understand what you mean when you're writing without going on, and on, and on. Let's see if I can explain myself better. Dogs and cats are domesticated animals. Parrots, and tortoises, and many other creatures are not. I, personally, (can I stop qualifying myself all of the time here?)think you have to treat domesticated animals differently from wild creatures...which is what tortoises and parrots are. Give them a bit, just a bit, more space. I still interact with Tofu and my birds. My goodness, I'm a nut job with them. I just have a different closeness, not less, just different. I know this is making no sense to you. I can't really explain it. The best I can do is to say I don't treat my dogs or cats like people; and I don't treat my exotics (birds and Tofu. Please note that I do hold my parrots all the time, before someone misinterprets that.) like dogs. They are all my family. Although my birds rarely bite, I don't hold it against them if they do. It's always for a good reason, ie: something has scared them. When they flap down from their gyms, on occasion, I deal with it because they are prey animals and it's instinctive for them to be startled easily. Even that sounds harsher to me, than I really am. Sigh. I do think there are definite advantages to picking up tortoises a lot. I would just worry that it would be harmful to their health if not careful. Someone help me!

you (not you specifically) know this happens almost everytime. I truly wonder if any of us read a post in the context it was meant. I'm sorry if it appeared so, but I wasn't saying darling Tofu was an experiment. Just that when I got Virgil he was meant to be a member of the family and for me, that includes messing with him all the time. And if handling him helped in any way to keep him from peeing on me when he'd picked up, thank goodness. He pees like a racehorse! When I was typing that post, it sounded kind of funny to me with my comments about annoying my RES on purpose. I certainly didn't mean anything negative toward anyone or their methods. And again, it was a very interesting question. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]