kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I purchased Virgil . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lisa and Virgil on April 21, 2002 at 23:28:23:

In Reply to: I'd like your thoughts on this. Discussion in progress? posted by wendi on April 21, 2002 at 15:16:10:

: It's interesting to read how many people hold their tortoises a lot BUT, this brings up an interesting thought. Mind you, I'm saying right off the bat I'm not criticizing either camp... just commenting. Now, in hopes of starting an interesting discussion, not a fight:
: There seems to be a couple of schools of thought here. You can hold your tortoise a lot. Make it very tame and amenable to carrying, holding, petting, etc...or you can treat it in a more natural(?) (how natural can it be in a domestic situation?) way. No holding or carrying except as a means of transport with some head rubs and scratches if your tort enjoys that. I have to say it never even entered my mind to carry Tofu around, or hold her a lot. To me (again I stress, MY OPINION ONLY. Not in any way indicating that my way is the right way) it seemed too much like treating a tortoise like a domestic animal, a dog perhaps. I felt I was respecting her rights. Weird, huh?
: I would be curious to hear all of your feelings on the subject. Why did you choose to treat your tortoise the way you did?... remember, play nice.

for a pet. Not for a science project to study how he would behave without human interference. From others' stories it is obvious that, sulcata anyway, have wonderful personalities and to not take advantage of that, by either holding them or packing them around on day trips, would be a shame. Viril doesn't mind being held and because of that he was most photogenic at the Christmas pictures with Santa fund raiser. He was a hit with everyone. I don't hold him excessively, but I can't imagine not picking him up daily just to tell him 'hi' whether he comprehends it on any level or not. Also, at some point he'll be too heavy to lug around and if he's very well socialized it may make moving him where I want him a little easier. Bottom line, he's just too CUTE not to hold. Now, my RES HATE being held, so I pick them up occasionally just to p*ss them off. Isn't that wicked? And last, but not least ... Hmmm ... you don't respect your dog's rights? I don't understand the difference. Your question was very interesting. Thanks.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]