kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Question for Niki,Terry and Wendy...regarding Sulcata's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by wendi on April 19, 2002 at 09:08:36:

In Reply to: Question for Niki,Terry and Wendy...regarding Sulcata's posted by Hudson on April 18, 2002 at 23:20:32:

My first thought would be to say if you're worried about destructiveness, size, etc. don't get one. All the stuff you hear is true. Sulcatas are a lot of fun, but I don't recommend them to anyone. Most people aren't willing to put the $$$$ into their care...vet checks, enclosures, etc, etc.
Tofu hasn't really damaged anything because we keep her in STRONG indoor and outdoor enclosures, and she's watched when she's wandering. Still, there are sometimes incidents. The other day my daughter was watching her and was wondering why Tofu was standing still. (this is rare for Tofu). I went to get Tofu to put her away after cleaning (what a mess! what a stench!) her indoor pen and she had tried to eat the curtains and was stuck. Poor Tofu. She's also learned to partially climb the chainlink fence, so we really have to watch her. (we've done some remodeling to help this.)Esther's right, they are very, very determined. If Tofu wants something, you can simply move her and hope she'll forget it. She won't.
As far as her size, I'll deal with it. We'll probably have to add on a barn-like structure, or large enclosure in the garage (heated, of course). We are committed (and should be committed) to all of our pets (I think a dozen). You need to check the website E. suggested and honestly think about whether you can handle one. I definitely would NOT get a baby and then give it up when it got difficult. Booo!
They're great, don't get me wrong, but they certainly aren't for most people.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]