return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Egyptian Sexing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Michael on February 07, 1999 at 06:53:14:

In Reply to: Egyptian Sexing posted by Jeff on February 05, 1999 at 19:54:00:

: I have a pair of two year old T. Kleinmanni that I've had for about a year. I have noticed very different physical characteristics. The smaller of the two has a slimm shell and a short tail. The larger of the two has a broad shell and a long tail. When I soke the larger one this big red thing(I figure it is a penis...he he). Anyway, is there anybody out there who can tell me what the sexual characteristics are between a male and a female? The larger of the two is a few months older than the smaller one. Any info would be greatly appretiated!

: Jeff

The larger one is definately a male if you have seen the hemipenis.

Usually the shorter tail is the best way to determine females. With young specimens the tails can sometimes grow when you think you have a "female". Males have tails that are longer with an opening that looks like a slash. The females tails are shorter with a asterisk looking opening. Generally females have broader shells but males can too. Size is another good factor with full grown specimens with the males being much smaller. Any other questions feel free to email me...
Take care,
Michael Nesbit (kleinmanni@aol.com)
TortoiseAid International
Supervisor,
Board of Regional Advisors
www.onelist.com (TORTAID email list)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments: