kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Venting...Hey, I understand

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on April 11, 2002 at 10:04:10:

In Reply to: Venting...Hey, I understand posted by wendi on April 11, 2002 at 09:05:42:

I love watching my torts too.
Angel (18" female) will come plodding over and sit down beside me to have her shell rubbed.If 'm sunbathing she'll sit underneath the lounge chair!

She'll still ram me every now and then though, usually when I least expect it, and have my back turned!

In Hawaii I visited a lady who kept many species of torts and turts, her yard had been turned into chelonia paradise.
She had, elongated tortoises, wandering in the large area outside her kitchen door, the adults in a grassy area, the babies up on raised flowerbeds that had been transformd into nursery areas, just for the baby torts.
Walk around to the side of the house and there were the leopard and redfoot areas, fully grown adults in a lovely grassy area, shaded with trees an bushes.
Continue on and you came to the baby box turtle area. Up on raised flowerbeds at least 8-10' wide were little box turtles galore. Their area was heavily planted, but you'd spot one or two of the tiny babies, peeping out from under a plant, or log.
Then came the back yard.
A large grassy lawn, completely surounded by about 20'-30' wide flowerbeds.Paths winding through and around. The beds planted with a huge variety of trees, palm trees, flowering plants and shrubs. Just the landscaping alone had attracted all sorts of wild lizards, geckos etc which could be seen basking on tree branches.Stepping stones and large ceramic plant pot saucers of water, were placed in many shady spots, for the variety of tortoises and turtles to soak and drink. There was also three ponds, for the more aquatic (painted, spotted, sliders, cooters) species.
And everywhere little tortoises and turtles, could be seen, if you looked carefully.
A wood turtle soaking in one of the pot saucers. A box turtle scamperng across the lawn, a Russian tortoise plodding along a path.
Chelonia paradise.

Now I know that mixing species is not recommended. But in this situaton it worked, the yard is absolutely huge, and designed with the landscaping etc, to suit the requirements of all the different species. Plus Hawaiis weather allows year round outdoor housing.The larger species have their own individual areas.

I didn't want to leave.
I could just imagine sitting on a bench, under a tree by the lawn and watching turts and torts all day!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]