kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Successful Rescue!!!! Aligator Snapping turtle!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Tom on April 08, 2002 at 19:25:47:

In Reply to: Successful Rescue!!!! Aligator Snapping turtle! posted by Freight on April 08, 2002 at 19:18:06:

Way to go!!! I love a happy ending!!
: On Saturday My wife Chrisine and I went to South East Mass. to visit my family, and on our way we stopped in a pet store to see a large Sulcata we were told they had. The Sulcata was no longer there, but they had a 50lb Aligator Snapper in a 150gal tank with a price tag of $900.00, and no thats not a typo.

: The Snapper was sitting with its chin down on the Glass and was totally unresponsive to movement, and did'nt even move its eyes to follow us as we looked in on him. His shell was worn and showed signs of rot as it was covered with lecerations. We were horrified that this animal was in that small tank and looked quite sickly. I mentioned to the owner of the store that he may have shell rot, but did not take the conversation much further as we needed to formulate a plan.

: After enlisting the support of the Mass. Turlte Rescue, and the New England Wildlife Center, I called the store to feel out the situation as far as what it would really cost to get him out. The owner asked what my interest was for the snapper, recognizing that I was asking about him 2 days earlier, and after mentioning that he looked sick, and that I wanted to get him medical care and find him a perminant home, and that I was planning to work with 2 well known rescues, she said I could take him FREE of charge.

: Today at 2:15pm, I drove 1 hour to pick him up, about 45min. to the wildlife center, and finally arrived back home at 6:15pm this evening. My friend the snapper had a quick evaluation upon arrival which showed the following: Shell erosion/rot, skin infection, possible respritory infection, and a 99% chance of internal parasites. He is safe in the care of a group of highly qualified wildlife rehabilitators, and once he is healed will be appropriately homed where he can live the rest of his life happy and healthy.

: Not all people in the pet trade lack compassion, and I truely must commend this person for realizing something was wrong and allowing it to be reconciled! I also encourage anyone who sees an animal in true suffering to at least try to help, they need someone who cares to fight for their rights because they can't!

:
: A truely happy ending!

: Freight

:
: ----- Original Message -----

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL: