kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

I'm finally back . . .

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lisa and Virgil on April 06, 2002 at 18:56:17:

In Reply to: Lisa and Virgil...... posted by Terry on April 03, 2002 at 20:49:06:

:
: Lisa,
: I asked my vet if he thought Hoku was too small for his age. He didn't seem to think he was at all. He thought Hoku was a pretty resonable size. So Hoku and Virgil aren't dwarf sulcata!

: I also asked what he thought the major causes of kidney/liver problems are. As he had mentioned that many torts lives are shortened because of kidney and liver problems.

: Over supllementing with both calcium d3 products and vitamins was his answer.

: He suggested that calcium *with vitamin d3* was not required for *outdoor* torts. And that it's also very possible to over supplement with vitamin powders/supplements.

: Got my attention and I'm no longer giving my outdoor sulcatas calcium products with vitamin d3.I'll stick to leaving cuttle bone out for them.

: Vitamin supplements if used at all, once a week. But I've decided to ditch those too.If the tortoise is on a good/varied diet, vitamin supplements aren't needed.

: I'm not suggesting that everyone follow suit,just mentioning a little conversation I had.

: It's great to finaly have a vet I have confidence in.If only I'd had a vet like this when I had my C. galbinifrons.

Thanks for the info. When you think about it, the torts in the wild aren't getting any supplements (although lots of natural sunlight) and their food choices in the desert just can't be as nutritional as what captives are fed (hence the pyramiding, etc.) If they're really the tough guys that make the most out of practically nothing, then it certainly makes sense. My driveway has turned into a dandelion patch. I've never been so thrilled to see weeds in my gravel.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]