return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

At least one Petco isn't abusing the wild caught loepard tortoises foisted upon it...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CAL on February 05, 1999 at 21:56:07:

I work at a Petco store, and I think I am an exception to the supposed rule that all employees of Petco are ignorant and useless. I've been a reptile hobbyist for many years, and I also think that my reptile knowledge is quite good. I have been applying this to the poor wild caught leopards that we recieved about two weeks ago. Now, keep in mind that my resources are limited by Petco...
I placed them into the former Iguana enclosure, which consists of a large hex with a large floor space (each pane of glass is about 3 feet long... perimeter of about 18 feet). Now, it is heated by a heat panel and a large ceramic heater. The basking area is about 100 degrees, and the average ambient temp is perhaps 80. The tortoises stay nearer the warmer side.
There are enough hiding places for all. The tortoises are soaked twice daily for about 1/2 hour to help avoid dehydration. They are fed once daily on a medley of primarily dark greens (mustard greens, kale, collard greens, and a small amount of romaine/ leaf lettuces) supplemented with a small amount of broccoli, cauliflower (which is a favorite), cucumber, carrot, and grapes. They also recieve soaked timothy hay and soaked rabbit pellets. Several of the tortoises arrived with swoolen eyes and very litsless... the eyes aye no longer swollen and they have gained back more energy. Their eyes still stick a little, though. I expect that to get better. I have lightly dusted the food with metronidazole (I don't think there's any way they could NOT have any protozoan problems), but have been unable to figure out how to get fenbendazole into them. All have gained a good deal of wieght (about 15-25 %).
In our store, there is a sign that states that the tortoises will grow to between 16-26 inches, will live beyond 50 years with good care, and that they need grasses, dark green leafy veggies, etc. This sign does say that one could put these 6-8 inch tortoises into a 20 long, but, if anyone asks about them, we tell them that that would be MUCH too small... and we tell customers about their large adult size, etc.
So, see, at least one store is trying to do it right. I know that a big part of the problem is that the animals are wild caught, and that many stores may not be caring for the animals properly (and I have seen some stores that do not care for their animals well), but don't write off all petco employees as idiots-- if you come into my store, and ask a questio about an animal, you will recieve a competant and factual response. No "Oh, iguanas willonly grow to the size of their tank" and "they don't really need that full spectrum florescent," but a truthful response. And, if it loses a sale because it seems like too much work to the customer, so be it-- I would rather lose the sale than send the animal to an improper home.
Sorry about my blathering on-- and I'm not trying to defend Petco as a company. I am simply trying to show that there are people out there, in the trenches, trying to help these animals in the best way they can.
Thanks

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ] [ FAQ ]