kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Tinley Reflections: An open letter from Mom . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: Albinistic Sulcata...more inside...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Matt J. on April 02, 2002 at 16:43:31:

In Reply to: Re: Albinistic Sulcata...more inside... posted by nathan on April 02, 2002 at 08:40:48:

: I've seen plenty of photos of them. With blue eyes they are not albino, perhaps another genetic coloration, but not albino.

Seeing photos is not up to par with seeing them in person. They are unique animals, FAR from what a "normal" is considered. Maybe Richard will post some current photos of the first one's born with comparison next to "normals" to get a better idea.

: One thing I haven't seen is pictures of adults exhibiting the same characteristics.

There are none. It's a single pair that have produced these same babies. Remember, you don't always need adults exhibiting genetic traits to express them. The albino Egyptian tortoise is a good example. It was pure luck, as I view these were.

: Either way, sure it's fine to sell anything you want for whatever price (well, anything legal). But I think that twisting words to misrepresent something in order to get more money is wrong.

Agreed. I think to claim genetics on it now would be misleading. That's why I said I'm 99.999999% sure, but leave room for the small percent that it's not. I do truly believe it's hypomelanism. That's the "logical" explanation in my opinion. If you get to see them at an expo, check it out. I'm not floored by them, but they are a far cry from a normal Sulcata. I've hatched plenty of "white" baby Sulcata with my normals, and what he has is not even the same thing other than species.

: Of course, that's just my opinion, but that's what we are here for, to give our opinions and chat about turtle related stuff.

Exactly! Life is an opinion... in my opinion.

Matt

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]