kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: I have ?'s about lights - PLEASE HELP!! :)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lisa and Virgil on January 17, 2002 at 16:59:09:

In Reply to: Re: I have ?'s about lights - PLEASE HELP!! :) posted by Marissa-Turtle Homes on January 17, 2002 at 16:51:54:

: You need a basking/heat bulb which will go in a dome reflector lamp and that is for heat and basking. That light will probably say "full spectrum" but it is really only UVA rays...which are color spectrum rays but don't contain UVB which is necessary for calcium absorption and D3 production. So, in order to provide for that need, you have to get a fluorescent UVB bulb as well. I like the ZooMed Reptisun 5.0% bulb, and that should go in an appropriate-sized fluorescent light fixture. The heat lamp goes in one end of the enclosure (I don't recommend using a fishtank even for babies...if you want an easy baby enclosure, get a large Rubbermaid tub) and the UVB bulb will go across the rest of the enclosure so that it shines on as much of the enclosure as possible. Both lights should be on from 12-14 hours per day. At night, provided that your room temperatures are over 70F, no additional lighting or heating is really necessary...they sleep at night. A hide box should go in the pen on the opposite end from the basking bulb (the cool end) and I like CareFresh bedding for substrate for indoor use...most pet shops carry it. You might want to take a look at the Sulcata Station website, as the care for the leopard and the sulcata is the same. The link is below. Feel free to email me with questions, I'll be glad to help you out :)

When I started my post no one had replied yet and then when I looked again there was your answer. Thank goodness mine said basically the same thing. You are always a huge help.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]