kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Is there any interest in tortoise books?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by WL on January 17, 2002 at 16:12:38:

I have been discussing options with my publisher regarding new tortoise/turtle books that can be offered. However, with sales being lower than in the past years, small run editions cost more to publish and consequently have a higher retail price. Consequently, higher prices yield a further drop in sales and the problem escalates.

We were interested in finding out how many hobbyists would be interested in "books on CD." These could be produced and sold at very reasonable prices, the purchaser could print a hard copy (and even have it bound by a local printer if they chose to do so), and would be able to see lots of color photos (that are very expensive to include in hard copies of books).

But, before going this route in the future, I would love to get some feedback to pass along to the publishers. Currently, I have two unpublished books (with two different publishers) that are being held back until sales improve on current titles, or we have an altenative means of production.

Though, there is much information to be obtained on the "NET," books have always been a valuable source of data on species and husbandry. However, unless there is a market, the book companies will stop releasing new titles. Just look at what has happened to the four herp magazines in the US over the last couple years. Only "Reptiles" is still in existence.

Please forward your opinion about the CD books to my e-mail address, so I can forward your valuable opinions to the publishers. Thanks for your assistance.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]