kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: False Coral Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Bearded Dragon . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - Apr 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - Apr 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - Apr 06, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Hamburg Reptile Show - Apr. 13, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - Apr 14, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - Apr 16, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: red foot, baytril, and head bobbing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Dan P on January 17, 2002 at 11:43:18:

In Reply to: red foot, baytril, and head bobbing posted by David Sanchez on January 16, 2002 at 10:33:55:

: Hello all,
: I recently acquired a red foot for x-mas and truly love the little guy. He is only 8 months old and looks great from the little that I know. I took him in to the vet because I think that it's a good idea to get acquainted with the doc and the animal from the get-go. The vet noticed he was bobbing his head and such, she believed it to be labored breathing though the breeder told me it was behavioral to male red foots. I am not even sure yet if Terpsy is male or female. Since the injections he seems a bit lethargic, lots of burrowing and sleeping. I was wondering if anyone else knows anything about red foot head bobbing and if they have had problems with Baytril and baby red foots. Thanks for any further information. Before the antibiotics Terpsy ate a great deal and now his appetite has notably shrunken. Any insight?

: David Sanchez

Baby redfoots do bob their head around and it's not a social thing at that age. Tortoises can't expand their shells to breathe, so as they breathe their front legs and head move in and out of the shell with each breath.

If he's moving and eating with no evidence of pneumonia, he's fine. Moving and eating are definitely temperature related.

Now for your problem. Baytril is a great drug (sorry I like it) but it has limitations. It should not be used undiluted in small animals. The carrying agent causes local tissue irritation. Those injections hurt.

Two things. First I'd bet he doesn't have a respiratory problem, but since I haven't seen it, I don't know. Second, if you have to give Baytril to a small animal, it should be given orally. Some people claim it will kill off the gut flora if given orally, but Baytril penetrates the body so well, I'd bet the injections kill off the gut flora just as much. If you continue giving Baytril, you can pry open the mouth with a toothpick and drop it in.

Ordinarily Baytril is given as an oral med. (pills) to dogs and cats after a single injection. You won't find reptile use on the label either since no drugs are labeled for herp use.

Good luck.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]