kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Zoo Med Repti Therm_UTH  
click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Horned Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: update on my sick baby sulcata

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Terry on January 15, 2002 at 11:20:56:

In Reply to: update on my sick baby sulcata posted by Kathy on January 15, 2002 at 10:34:16:

Kathy,
I would offer a much larger variety of food than just romaine and apple.
I wouldn't offer any fruit at all, sulcata shouldn't have fruit.

Big Favorites:
Endive, radiccio, romaine, grated yellow squash, red and green leaf lettuce.

Try say, romaine lettuce and endive with grated yellow squash mixed in.Chop up into tiny pieces.
Next feeding try red or green leaf lettuce with radiccio and grated carrot.
Then back to the romaine, endive, squash etc.....

How often are you giving the shots, daily?
Baytril can make a little tortoise very sleepy, after the shot he may sleep the day away.

Usually baytril shots are prescribed one shot every 48 hours (every other day).

Maybe ask your vet if your tortoise can switch to a shot every other day.

If it's one shot a day,
I would give the shot in the late afternoon, allowing the tortoise to sleep it off at night.

Soak in the morning and offer food, then soak in the afternoon and offer food again. Shot in the late afternoon.

Be persistent, keep up the soakings, offer a larger variety of leafy greens/yellow squash etc at each feeding.But stay away from fruit.
Just because he doesn't eat the endive/yellow squash one day, doesn't mean he won't the next. Offer a large variety of favorite greens and be persistent.

Make sure it's not too hot or too cold, create a heat gradient as Marissa mentioned.
Hot under the basking lamp, warm side, cooler side.

The cooler side should be around 75 degreees, the warmer side 86, under the basking lamp( only ) 90-96.The entire tank shouldn't be that hot.

There must be the gradient so the tortoise can move between the warmer and cooler temperatures and thermoregulate.

If kept at a constant too hot temperature, the tortoise will become sluggish.
There must always be a cooler area for the tortoise to retreat to.

Overnight temperature should be around 86 in warmer side-75-80 in the cooler side. Tortoises require an overnight, cooling down period.

For a healthy baby sulcata 70-75 would be a good overnight temperature.

Hope this helps.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]