kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
Click here for LLL Reptile & Supply
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Earth Day . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: This sounds like a similar person we all know and love...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Stuart McArthur on January 13, 2002 at 11:44:12:

In Reply to: This sounds like a similar person we all know and love... posted by EJ on January 12, 2002 at 10:06:34:

: but while I question if the method Justin uses truly eliminates mycoplasma it is a widely accepted and utilized method for dealing with the problem by many herp vets in the US and is far from mumbo jumbo or 'spells'.
: Ed

OK!

In all these posts please remember that I am keen to try and avoid dangerous ideas.

My comments directly refer to "Elimination" and safety. The thought of selling on animals that have been treated in such a way as "Safe" and mycoplasmosis eliminated worries me to the core. Please try not to do it!

In fact if these started off mycoplasma positive they will remain so and therefore will be dangerous animals to introduce to a naive colony.

I agree this nasal flushing is a historical treatment that we know resolves clinical signs and can improve the health of the animal. See my book circa 1995/6. Vet management of tortoises and turtles, Blackwell Science.....So does intranasal propolis!!!!Fantastic stuff....It isnt really modern or a cure.

Propolis or anything else up the nose could be a helpful treatment reducing distress in an animal. As such should be part of all clinicians armoury. BUT It doesnt eliminate the pathogen.

We never said how we knew we had mycoplasmosis. How was the diagnosis reached? This is important with respect to knowing what the most effective treatment is.

In the UK we also call URTD - RNS. This RNS could relate to multiple aetiologies and may just be a neuropathy.....excessive salivation with associated secondary changes and infections. Eg the result of chronic hyperparathyroidism.

Herpes , iridovirus and mycoplasmosis... or mixtures of these agents now look the likely candidates as aetiological agents in recurrent cases. These RNS cases are what I appear to see a lot of.

Sorry about the "mumbo jumbo" in the last post. It needs to be "Eliminated". Lets hope Vibravet works! Clarithromycin may be Ok too.

Stu

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]