kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
Southwestern Center for Herpetological Research  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Gopher Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Snake . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: please help, worried about my baby sulcata/ TAKE IT TO A VET!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by danya on January 12, 2002 at 20:38:34:

In Reply to: Re: please help, worried about my baby sulcata/ TAKE IT TO A VET!!! posted by kathy on January 10, 2002 at 00:05:41:

here's how to tell if you have the right light, did it cost around 30.00? or more like 10.00 just for the light? if it cost anything less than 20 for just the tube light, then you probably have a regular uva bulb for plants and such. you need a bulb that has UVB also. try vitalite, reptisun 5.0, iguana light 5.0. The best by far is Active UV or UV Heat. This is a regular light bulb, except that it provides more UVB than any tube light and it also provides heat. It'll cost you around 50-70 but its much cheaper in the long run.

: : : : He is either suffering from mbd or lack of protein in the diet. What are you feeding him and what are you using lighting wise? Still take him to the vet, but make sure he does not give your tortoise a vit. a shot. Some vets try to do this, it is quite bad for the animal.

: : : : Justin
: : : Justin, Thanks for your response. what is mbd?. I read a lot of information when I bought him and bought the proper light for reptiles (one that was recomended) I don't remember the exact brand. He also has a heat lamp on top of his cage and I offer him a nice varity of greens and a little fruit. On nice day's I take him outside to eat clover the only thing he ever seems to eat although, he's not even eating that now. Kathy

: : I don't know if Justin is still out there tonight, but mbd is metabolic bone disease. A heat lamp is not enough, nor is full-spectrum UVA. You need a UVB bulb also. Regarding what Justin said about the vitamin A shot that may be suggested, I've only heard the horror stories about what happens when that shot is given just as something to try. Good luck.

: Thanks to everyone for their responses. My head is being filled with more questions instead of answers. If he has MBD does this mean I did something to cause this or was it something he inherited? what kind of horror stories are associated with the vit. A shot? if the vet wants to give him one what should I tell him? I do have a UVB light for him as well as the heat lamp. I just think that this has something to do with his poor appetite. Kathy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]