kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn

click here for Rodent Pro
This Space Available
3 months for $50.00
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Happy Rattlesnake Friday! . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Indigo . . . . . . . . . .  Suncoast Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  DFW Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - Apr 20, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Wow! Thanks for all the info! (more)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Lacy on January 11, 2002 at 15:27:47:

In Reply to: Re: Please Help Me Pick Out a Tortoise For My Area!!! posted by chip on January 11, 2002 at 12:04:42:

Yes, I have thought about college. Although my mom helps me out with builing their outside pens and other things, she said she won't take care of them by here self. I plan on living at home when I go to college. I'll probally go to OSU or another Univ. that I can get into that's fairly close. (I'm not too worried about it, I know I'll get in :) !)
Thank You for the information! It will help out alot! Do you have any baby leopards? Would you bw willing to sell hatchlings? Just a thought!

Bye!

--Lacy

: I am in North Texas not far from you. I have 4 adult Leopard Tortoises. They have been doing good in the climate that I live in. One thing you need to think about is are you going to college? I'm sure you have already thought about this with your other animals, but who will take care of your animals. Some of the things that I have seen about leopards is that they can live up to 75 years in the wild. I would think that this would be a lot longer in captivity but have not seen the number on this. Leopards need room to graze. They are not good for apartments. They eat mostly grass but will eat leaves, cacti, and anything green they can find. My adults have to either come inside for the winter or have heat outside. I used to keep them in big horse watering troughs. This year I built a green house in the back yard for them. It is important to not keep them on concrete in the winter. I planted the troughs with grass and the green house floor is my yard. Sulcata's get very large and have to have sturdy fencing and lots of room. I hope this helps some. The leopards have done well in our climate. They have been breeding for the last three years during the summer. Leopards run from between 85-130 dollars.
: Good luck,
: Chip
: Feel free to e-mail me privately for any further information.

: : Hi Every one!
: : I would like to know what kind of tortoise I could get that would like the climate that I live in.. It doesn't get very humid here. Just every once in a while.
: : I live in Moore, OK (right below Oklahoma City)
: : Our springs are usually on the warm side, our summers are usually hot, and our winters (of course) are very cold. I have 7 adult box turtles that are hibernating outside right now. I also have 3 different species of aquatic turtles, and NINE baby boxies that are in a tank in my room (yeah, I know, that's a lot!) I LOVE taking care of turtles! They are so cute and fun to have. Anyways, I just wanted you to know that I'm not some rookie turtle-lover that's going to get bored with them and ditch my tortoise/turtles. I have been looking at Sulcutta's, and Red Foot's, and especially leopard tortoises. But really, any kind of tortoise would do. (oh yeah, price IS an issue though. I'm only 17!)
: : I would also appreciate any info about any tortoise you would suggest. (i.e. how big they get, how long it takes, what they eat, and what kind of enclosure they will need..) I have already been looking that stuff up, but it's all basically the same thing and not very informative, I just want to make sure I can give it the best of care!

: : Sorry so long!! Thanks for your help!!

: : --Lacy

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]