kingsnake.com - reptile and amphibian classifieds, breeders, forums, photos, videos and more

return to main index

mobile - desktop
follow us on facebook follow us on twitter follow us on YouTube link to us on LinkedIn
International Reptile Conservation Foundation  
click here for Rodent Pro
Mice, Rats, Rabbits, Chicks, Quail
Available Now at RodentPro.com!
Locate a business by name: click to list your business
search the classifieds. buy an account
events by zip code list an event
Search the forums             Search in:
News & Events: Herp Photo of the Day: Fence Lizard . . . . . . . . . .  Herp Photo of the Day: Kingsnake . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - Apr 26, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Calusa Herp Society Meeting - May 02, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Southwestern Herp Society Meeting - May 04, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Exotic Pets Expo - Manasas - May 05, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Greater Cincinnati Herp Society Meeting - May 07, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  St. Louis Herpetological Society - May 12, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Colorado Herp Society Meeting - May 18, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Chicago Herpetological Society Meeting - May 19, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  San Diego Herp Society Meeting - May 21, 2024 . . . . . . . . . .  Bay Area Herpetological Society Meeting - May 24, 2024 . . . . . . . . . . 

Re: update on my sick baby sulcata

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]

Posted by Marissa-Turtle Homes on January 11, 2002 at 13:28:46:

In Reply to: update on my sick baby sulcata posted by Kathy on January 10, 2002 at 21:24:30:

Hi Kathy,

If the tortoise has a suspected parasite infestation, is the vet doing fecal culture and flotation to check for what kind? YOu mentioned he thought it was a parasitic problem, and then gave an antibiotic shot. Antibiotics will not take care of parasites, only infections caused by bacteria. Usually, Flagyl is used for parasites. You might want to question the vet about that.

Although it's a good idea to keep the tortoise warm, I don't think it's a good idea to just heat them up when they are sick. Sometimes, that does more harm than good. I think maintaining a proper temperature gradient, allowing the tortoise choices of temperatures is best. Heating up your enclosure to 90F is pretty hot, and does not allow your tortoise a way to thermoregulate...in other words, to cool down and heat up as HE needs to, not as you choose for him.

Definitely removing the sand substrate was a good idea, in fact, I think the sand is a poor substrate choice for sulcata anyway, especially babies. Towels are fine for now.

I also think a fishtank is a poor enclosure choice for a sulcata, even a baby. Glass fishtanks do not make great enclosure choices, but there are easy ways to make better ones. FOr now, I guess the tank is fine. You should be thinking of better ways to house now though. For now, even a large plastic Rubbermaid tub (WalMart, Home Depot, etc.) would be good.

Soaking twice a day is a good idea, especially during antibiotic therapy. Do not slack off on that...

People talking to you about Reptomin and turtle eye wash are talking about things for water turtles, NOT sulcata. DO NOT get any of that stuff. Reptomin is made by Tetra, it's floating turtle food sticks for water turtles in a pond or fishtank. The Turtle Eye Wash is crap they sell for water turtles, totally unnecessary...do not use with the sulcata.

Make sure you have UVB lighting on the tortoise, in addition to basking heat. Take a look at the sulcata station website for info (www.sulcata-station.org).

There is also good sulcata info on our website, below. Feel free to write to me with questions, I'll be glad to help

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ The Tortoise Forum ]